Why & When do People Require Voice Therapy?
Voice therapy or voice training is a series of techniques and procedures that work on several vocal parameters such as pitch, volume, and quality. Voice therapy treats a wide spectrum of speech and communication disorders. Usually, speech-language pathologists provide voice therapy.
What’s the Main Purpose of Voice Therapy?
Generally, the main goal of voice therapy is to restore the patients’ voice to a level where they can get their daily voice or speech requirements fulfilled.
How does it Work?
Voice production is quite a complex process that involves many muscles, systems, and proper coordination among these systems. Sometimes, these muscles or systems get tighter, strained and imbalanced. Either it can be an outcome of voice problem or it can cause a voice problem.
The system can become imbalanced for voice strain or due to a weak vocal fold or a vocal fold lesion after a cold. If one of your back muscles is pulled, other muscles may also get strained by trying to guard, protect or compensate for the muscle injury.
Voice therapy is much like the physical therapies. People suffering from vocal issues should work with the speech pathologist just like the way athletes work with their trainers after a physical injury. During voice therapy, you might be asked these questions by the speech pathologist:
- When did the voice problem start? Is it getting worse day-by-day?
- How do you use your voice personally and professionally?
- Can you modify the way you are breathing?
- Can you produce voice in multiple ways such as singing or humming?
Apart from these, you might be asked to:
- Match an audiotape model of voice
- Learn physical exercises to maintain the balance and strengthen the vocal mechanism
- Adopt strategies that can keep your voice not only strong but healthy for the future
A Final Takeaway
The success of a voice therapy depends on certain facts, such as right medical diagnosis, proper voice assessments, skills of the therapist, and of course the compliance of the patient. Don’t overlook any voice related issue. If you face any irritation or difficulty in voice, go to the doctor without any delay.